Mixing colors, shapes and mediums, Heather’s work is multi-layered. She creates in any medium at hand: paint, ink, oil pens, pencils, collage, assemblage and printmaking . She is inspired by our interconnectedness on a molecular, social, and universal level. As we learn, connections grow among neurons in our brain. These synapses build pathways like trees or trails as we walk our tighter, close-to-home routes. Our screens and devices, wired to the invisible internet, connect us to each other and the beauty we find. Meditating on our universal challenges in this life striving for flow and beauty, Heather often carves or scratches into works to reveal layers below.
Beginning during the pandemic quarantine Heather’s most recent series is a celebration of our resilience and tenacity, expressed in layered colors, repeated markings, and notches. It is a study of organic patterns in the networks of the same-same repeating days that hold us together firmly while we grow.
Heather’s love of art solidified by 3rd grade with a first prize ribbon at the county fair for a masterpiece in glue and chalk – a macaw. She has studied arts and crafts all her life and earned a BA in studio art, new media (digital arts) from CSU Chico. She has curated artists for the Curtis Fest Artisan Fair and taught classes and workshops in fine art techniques for adults and children. In addition to passion for art, she is a web designer, graphic designer, public speaker and lecturer in Sacramento, California. She has continued the study of art and art history at Sacramento City College, where she is an adjunct professor, teaching web and graphic design.
- Art & Art History Classes at Sacramento City College, 2015-2021
- BA in Studio Art: New Media, California State University, Chico, 2000
Related Work Experience
- Marketing & Outreach Coordinator, Sierra 2 Center, 2017-present
- Adjunct Professor, Design & Digital Media Dept. Sacramento City College, 2006-present
- Sacramento Community Murals Project, Pannell Community Center, Sacramento, CA
- Big Names Small Art, Crocker Art Museum, Sacramento, CA
- Emerging + Artists = Show, Gallery 625, Woodland, CA
- Art at Work, Blue Line Arts, located at Roseville Chamber of Commerce, CA (solo)
- North Natomas Jibe Bike path art banner project, Natomas, CA
- Sierra 2 Center, Sacramento, CA (solo)
- Sacramento Open Studios Tour and Exhibit. Sacramento (Virtual), CA, interview
- Holiday Gifts & Goods, Live printing, Sierra 2 Center, Sacramento, CA
- WAL 100 Under 100, Warehouse Artists Lofts Gallery
- Art Harvest, Yolo Arts, Woodland, CA
- Sacramento Open Studios, Verge Center for the Arts, 2019
- Yolo Arts Gallery at Woodland Healthcare Center, Woodland, CA (solo)
- Two Piece Show at Union Hall Gallery, Sacramento, CA
- Sacramento Open Studios, 2018 at Sierra 2 Center, Sacramento, CA
- Inner Soul, Uptown Studios, Sacramento CA
- Nasty Women Sacramento, Verge Center for the Arts, Sacramento CA
- First Festival Art Installation, West Sacramento CA
- Art for Krys, Benefitting ArtStreet, Ruhstaller’s Taproom, Sacramento CA
- Totem Art Show, E Street Gallery, Sacramento, CA
- Cafe Colonial Art Showcase, Cafe Colonial, Sacramento, CA
- Consigned small works, Sparrow Gallery, Sacramento, CA
- Handcrafted Holiday Art Show & Open House, Sacramento, CA
- Stranger Things Art Show, by Menagerie at Outlet Coworking, Sacramento, CA
- Pink Week Postcard Show, WAL Marketplace, Sacramento
- THE Art Auction, Verge Center for the Arts, Sacramento, CA
- Sacramento Open Studios Tour, Curtis Park Art Crawl Organizer/Exhibitor, Sacramento
- Curtis Fest Artisan Fair Exhibitor, Sacramento, CA
- Membership Medley, Blue Line Gallery, Roseville, CA.
- Student Art Show, Kondos Gallery, Sacramento City College, CA
- Make/Do Sacramento, a boutique in Sacramento, CA.
- Life on Mars, TUBE magazine / Blue Lamp, Sacramento, CA.
- Small Works, Capitol Artworks, Sacramento, CA.
- Cash prize award, Student Art Show, Kondos Gallery, Sacramento City College
- Curtis Fest Artisan Fair, Vendor management and marketing, Sacramento, CA, 2017-2019
- Holiday Gifts & Goods, Marketing & Branding, Sacramento, CA, 2017-2019
- A Slice of Love, Linoleum block carving and printing workshop, Sierra 2 Center, Sacramento, CA
- Girl Scouts Weekend of Workshops Presenter Ice dye & tie dye, Somerset, CA
- Inside Magazine, Cover, July 2021 Land Park/Grid edition
- Promo segments on Studio40 Live and Good Day Sacramento, 2018-2019
- Interview for Sacramento Open Studios Tour, Sacramento (Virtual), CA
- Article on Handcrafted Holiday Art Show in Viewpoint Newspaper, December, 2016
- Curtis Park Art Crawl, Viewpoint and Sactown Magazine Blog, September, 2016
- Printmaking demo and interview on Good Day Sacramento at Make / Do, January, 2016
- Tube Magazine, December 2015
- Cover image of (detail) Magazine, A Journal of Art Criticism published by the South Bay Women’s Caucus for Art, 2002
- “Dominator”, Custom design and linoleum block, Commissioned by Jen Sleppy, Sacramento, CA
- “Dead Fish Motorcycle Club”, Custom design and linoleum block, Commissioned by Matt Makofski, Sacramento, CA
- “Sierra 2 Senior Center”, Custom design and linoleum block, Commissioned by Sierra 2 Center, Sacramento, CA