Observing the calm, clash, and mish-mash in the margins of each day inspire me. I create using collage, printmaking, cyanotype, mixed media and assemblage because all require hand-work, reuse, engineering, and layered processes. My work aims to amuse, tell stories, and make one see or remember things differently through themes of motherhood, feminism, and life’s choices.
If you have a vivid dream about a pancake doing something that pancakes don’t normally do – you will likely think differently about your breakfast. When your perception of an object shifts, it can change you. I simulate this in my art with concepts and materials. I gather objects and images that create a story or a composition, like pairing guests for a dinner party. I explore which objects would get along and make good friends. I aim to focus on objects and images with history and longevity, apply simple processes to elevate or transform common goods, and reuse materials for economic and environmental benefit.
My love of art solidified by 3rd grade with a first prize ribbon at the county fair for my masterpiece in glue and chalk – a macaw. My parents insistence on college won out over life on a communal farm and I earned a BA in studio art, new media (meaning digital arts) from CSU Chico. After a backpacking honeymoon trip around the world I took more classes at Sacramento City College, eventually becoming an adjunct professor there, teaching web and graphic design. I’ve also build websites and design identities for governments, agencies, and businesses both local and worldwide.
At present, I am the Marketing & Outreach Coordinator at Sierra 2 Center for the Arts & Community, I teach in the Design & Digital Media Department at Sacramento City College, take on a few freelance web projects, and every day – with passion and tenacity – I make art.
- Art at Work through Blue Line Arts, located at Roseville Chamber of Commerce, CA, catalog
- North Natomas Jibe Bike path art banner project, Natomas, CA
- Sierra 2 Center, Sacramento, CA
- Sacramento Open Studios Tour and Exhibit. Sacramento (Virtual), CA, see my interview
- Solo show at Crepeville, Sacramento, CA, cancelled due to Covid-19
- Holiday Gifts & Goods, Live printing, Sierra 2 Center, Sacramento, CA
- Girl Scouts Weekend of Workshops Presenter Ice dye & Tie Dye, Somerset, CA
- WAL 100 Under 100, Warehouse Artists Lofts Gallery
- Art Harvest, Yolo Arts, Woodland, CA
- Sacramento Open Studios, Verge Center for the Arts, 2019
- Solo Show, Yolo Arts Gallery at Woodland Healthcare Center, Woodland, CA
- Two Piece Show at Union Hall Gallery, Sacramento, CA
- Sacramento Open Studios, 2018 at Sierra 2 Center
- Art of the Bike at Two Rivers Cider, Sacramento CA
- Sacramento Open Studios, Curtis Park Art Crawl Organizer, Sacramento, CA
- Ring Through, Art Installation at First Festival, West Sacramento CA
- Totem Spirits in Art, E Street Gallery, Sacramento, CA
- Cafe Colonial Art Showcase, Sacramento, CA
- Art for Krys Benefitting Art Street, Ruhstaller Taproom, Sacramento, CA
- Consigned small works, Sparrow Gallery, Sacramento, CA
- Handcrafted Holiday Art Show & Open House, Sacramento
- Stranger Things Art Show, by Menagerie at Outlet Coworking, Sacramento, CA
- Pink Week Postcard Show, WAL Marketplace, Sacramento
- THE Art Auction, Verge Center for the Arts, Sacramento, CA
- Sacramento Open Studios Tour, Curtis Park Art Crawl Organizer, Sacramento, CA
- Curtis Fest, Sacramento, CA
- Track 7 Custom Block and Print-a-thon, Track 7 Curtis Park Brewery, Sacramento, CA
- Membership Medley, Blue Line Gallery, Roseville, CA.
- Student Art Show, (cash prize award), Kondos Gallery, Sacramento City College, Sacramento, CA
- Make/Do Sacramento, a boutique in Sacramento, CA.
- Life on Mars, TUBE magazine / Blue Lamp, Sacramento, CA.
- Driveway-Print-a-thon, Sacramento, CA
- TUBE Market, California Auto Museum, Sacramento, CA
- Small Works, Capitol Artworks, Sacramento, CA.
Press & Publications
- Article in Viewpoint and Sactown about Curtis Park Art Crawl, part of Verge Open Studios Tour.
- Printmaking demo and interview on Good Day Sacramento at Make / Do, January 20, 2016
- Tube Magazine, December 2015
- Cover image of (detail) Magazine, A Journal of Art Criticism published by the South Bay Women’s Caucus for Art, 2002
- Studied figure drawing under Laura Hohlwein, Sacramento City College, 2016
- Studied Assemblage and Collage under Michael Stevens and Suzanne Adan, Sacramento City College, 2016
- Studied Printmaking under Emily Wilson, Sacramento City College, 2015
- BA in Studio Art: New Media, California State University, Chico, 2000 (Studied Digital Art under Nanette Wylde)
Member of Blue Line Arts, Member of Verge Center for the Arts, Crocker Art Gallery Member.