- This event has passed.
Highway 99 Steel Art Panel Project
October 24, 2022 @ 11:00 am – 1:00 pm
About the Project
Clean California proposes significant investments in litter collection, community engagement and education to ultimately transform unsightly roadsides into spaces of pride for all Californians. This is truly a statewide effort with potential projects in all 58 counties and with a third of the funds going directly to cities, counties, tribes and transit agencies to clean local streets and public spaces.
In our kick off meeting we identified a number of symbols and concepts that are unique to the Deerfield / Mesa Grande neighborhood region.
Following is a brief description of the meeting:
- Welcoming and Introductions
- Purpose and goal of the meeting by Cal Trans Project Manager Robert H. Nguyen
- Introduction and presentation by artist Heather Hogan
- Discussion about the history and Background of surrounding neighborhoods in South Sacramento by neighbors
- Brainstorming to collect ideas exhibiting the culture and identity of the neighborhoods
- Brainstorming to reflect potential themes for developing Steel Art by the artist
- Presentation of preliminary ideas by the artist to develop the Steel Art
- Discussion about next steps for the project
In our second meeting on Oct. 24th we will arrange symbols into layouts using the scaffolding concepts we identified in order to draft 5-6 designs for a wider public review.
The draft designs will be circulated via online survey in order to reach a wider audience. The survey will be available from Oct 31-Nov. 6th.
Below are the results of our brainstorming and information gathering session:
- Kids are important, many gain success and notoriety and return to the community to teach. (toys, bike/trike, blocks)
- Music Programs, BTU Arts (trumpets, drums, congos, violin, tuba, flute, clarinet, saxophone)
- Sports (Basketball and soccer)
- Community Gardens (farm to fork, bees, dragonflies, corn, tomatoes, basil, picnic table, watering can)
- Agriculture (livestock, fruit, grains, veggies, farm workers)
- Teachers (pencil, apple, books, glasses)
- Healthcare (microscope, stethoscope, white coat)
- Science Instruments
- Community Helpers (Police, librarians, neighbors)
- Growth and Metamorphosis (tree growing unique things, butterfly)
- Home/Family with objects coming out the top
- Pathway & Children (symbols on wheels along a path)
- Food Truck or Cart selling opportunities
- Segmented Plate or Kids lunch tray with growth opportunities
- A Book with options or images